Friday, December 4, 2020

Book Report

 


        Lynsey Addario's autobiography "It's What I Do," is a harrowing, gripping, somber, powerful, and at times humorous work of non-fiction that has so many twists, turns and events that it almost seems like a work of fiction or screenplay for a movie. Throughout the novel, Addario shared many personal anecdotes that were compelling and made one not just think, but feel exactly how she did while she was experiencing these tense and also sometimes joyous events. My personal favorite anecdote was Addario describing the difficulties of maintaining long distance relationships with not just her significant other, but entire family. It stood out for me because I want to do the same type of work Addario has done. Traveling all over the world, meeting new people, seeing how cultures are in different areas on the globe, and telling stories that need to be told no matter how tragic. All of this does not come without a price though, and although I want to get going on my career and zoom off to lord knows where, family is the most important thing in my life and I know how difficult it's going to be to miss out on birthdays, holidays, and other special life events. Addario helped give me some insight on shortening the gap  in distance at least mentally, and reassurance that I won't be forgotten about by the ones I love and in fact, as much as they might miss me too will be cheering me on from halfway across the world. 

    Addario's photojournalism style and technique is what some might say "unconventional." She is bold and headstrong where she needs to be, as she'll be walked all over in certain situations if not. This could be off-putting or make people not wan to be shot, but most know their creepy actions will not be tolerated and as recompense for their behavior will shut up and let the camera click. She can be soft and delicate with those subjects who need that in order to feel comfortable and uses her gut instincts when entering situations she may not be familiar with. Overall her journalism style is versatile, malleable, and adaptable to whatever situation she needs it to be. As mentioned previously, some might call her style unconventional, but when you're not allowed to speak openly or just walk in like you own the place just because of your birth gender, you have to be quick-witted and on your toes constantly to get the shot. Specifically, her "Woman of the Jihad" series is the most obvious example that comes to mind. The photographs of the women in Burkas at the mosque, or the young mother holding and kissing her young child without her burka or other coverings on in the privacy of her own home are shots that not even all women without the persuasive prowess Adario possesses could be gotten. 

    In regards to her pursuit and sense of duty for the best shot while in warzones, especially her being a female photographer in parts of the world that are less than kind to females in general could easily make people think she has a screw loose. However, when someone is just unquenchably determined to achieve a goal, or in this case document the real story of life that was happening at that time, I can completely relate to that sense of duty despite the danger. I am so passionate about the conservation of both African and Asian elephant species that I would go to either continent and be willing to lose my life or suffer extreme bodily harm in order to document and write about what horrors are happening there if it meant I could initiate some more relief or save some more elephants from a cruel death. So yes, I understand her duty, and also relate to people thinking a screw (or two) is loose from within our heads when it comes to that responsibility. 

There are a few lessons I took from this novel that I could use in my own photojournalism. The first one would be in regards to intense brutality and how to proceed with something so traumatic. Of course there is only so much one can prepare for (especially if you have lived a crazy life like I have so far) when it comes to things that are shocking, but I do think hearing how prevalent death was in certain areas of the world she visited opened my eyes to the possibility I will encounter that same trauma. I hope I never become so desensitized to something like that but now I am more prepared for it, and know it is a very possible reality. I think how I would shoot sensitive images would vary depending on severity of the scene, but now I know what to look for, what to aim at, what would bring dignity to the departed, and what would be too much, not enough, or just right amount of senselessness to open the viewers eyes to the world around them. Also, another lesson that wasn't necessarily learned but reinforced by Addario is the ability to ingratiate oneself into people or groups of people you think you would have nothing in common with in order to get a great shot. Of course no matter where a journalist is sent they should study up on the state, province, county, region, country, etc. they are being sent to with the culture, customs, and language in the forefront of your mind, but also how you talk to the locals is a huge factor. The easier you make them feel, and the more knowledgeable you are without sounding like a know-it-all can create an atmosphere where shooting pictures and documenting the scene won't feel like that to the subject or subjects, and the comfortability in their faces translates to the image well.

Some of my favorite photos come from Chapter 4 (the e-book doesn't have page numbers) which include the American Marines shaving outside of Sadaam Hussein's fallen palace and groups of men swarming around a loudspeaker listening to music in public for the first time in six years since the Taliban had banned it. Another one of my favorites is the first photo in the afterward of the refugees marching through the desert in Syria. These all stand out to me because they all represent different aspects and levels of freedom. The soldiers fighting for the freedom of others, the music playing and freedom being celebrated for all in the open, and lastly the refugees marching towards freedom and a better life hopefully. My favorite photo is the men listening to music for the first time. I can't imagine not being able to listen to music  publicly for 6 years, and I'm sure many more were too scared to listen to it in the privacy of their own home. 


    One quote that resonated the most with me from the author would be from Chapter 13 in which Addario writes: "Conversation only brought my fragility to the surface, and I preferred to keep it tucked away until we were properly released and in private..." It's funny to think that conversation would be what brings her vulnerability to the surface after enduring gropings, being bound, psychological torture and witnessing immense trauma, and even though she admitted to crying before when she was in dire circumstances, the fact that she's being released and getting ready to head home is the moment where she worries about seeming weak. I'm honestly not sure what to make of this, except for once again we see that Addario does not like to worry others or make them worried about her, and tries to stay strong and put on a brave face no matter what. 

    At long last, after finishing this intense, shocking, and emotional book, I would recommend it to others, but others who have a strong stomach. People forget what the state of the world was during that time period, and even though we as Americans were here and thinking about what we had to go through during 9-11, the suffering of civilians, soldiers and journalists alike across the Middle East in the years that followed must never be forgotten either, so the horrors from the government to its people, and from people to people in general must never be repeated.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo Story

  Portrait  of a Young Alcoholic Katarina "Kat" Patterson, 24, moved to the small town of Albany, Oregon from Sacramento, Californ...